Princess Cruises’ marked a milestone with their fifth Royal-class ship Enchanted Princess yesterday.
The 143,700 GRT 3,660-passenger cruise ship had a float out ceremony at the Fincantieri shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy.
The ship will undergo her now drydock fit-out and is due to launch her Maiden Season from Southampton on June 30 next year.
Enchanted Princess interesting facts:
- With a length of 1083 feet, Enchanted Princess is longer than the height of The Shard, the tallest UK building
- At 217 feet tall, Enchanted Princess is around the height of 15 double-decker buses stacked on top of one another
- There will be 2,500 miles of electrical cabling in Enchanted Princess, equivalent to the distance between London and Cairo
- 100,000 gallons of paint will be used in the construction of Enchanted Princess, more than 10 times the amount required annually to paint the Golden Gate Bridge
- Enchanted Princess will feature 200 tons of marble, 30 times the amount used in Michelangelo’s statue of David
- Enchanted Princess’ anchor is 14 tons, twice the weight of an elephant
- Enchanted Princess will have a top speed of 22 knots (25 mph) and 15,000KW of transverse (sideways) thruster power. Princess Cruises’ original Love Boat, Pacific Princess, had a forward propulsion power of about 13,500KW, meaning Enchanted Princess can go faster sideways than the original Pacific Princess could travel forward!
The next ship Princess Cruises’ will launch is Sky Princess which just completed her sea trials in the last fortnight.